ARE YOU READY FOR THE BEST MENS COLOGNE?!
After YEARS of writing reviews, buying fragrances, and pestering women to tell us their favorites, we finally arrived at the complete list of men’s fragrances that the best in the world. Which fragrance earned the #1 spot? You’ll have to scroll to the bottom to find out.
MAKE SURE YOU READ!
If you’re looking to skip right to the top 5 fragrances and bounce out of here, I don’t blame you.
Each fragrance has a very short snapshot explaining a bit why it is ranked where it is. If you’re looking for something specific like a day/night/summer/winter, you’re going to want to make sure you get something that matches your needs.
THIS LIST IS CONTINUOUSLY UPDATED
Don’t forget to bookmark this page and comeback often. Every time we review another fragrance, the list grows a little bit longer. Hopefully by the end of the year the list will have grown to about 50.
If you’re knowledge of fragrance is lacking, make sure you check out our “Getting Started” guide or if you’re looking for a particular list, head back to our Home Page where you’ll see most of the fragrance articles we have rolled out right now.
Do you like to troll and lip off about everything wrong in cyberspace? So do I! Leave us a comment below so we can chat about it. Maybe you’ll be able to sweet talk your favorite fragrance up a few ranks.
Alright, enough rambling, here it is!
2017 Best Mens Cologne
#6 Pour Homme by Versace (2008)
OVERALL RATING – 9.4
What makes Pour Homme by Versace worthy of a top 10 pick?
- Pour Homme smells very similar to the #1 rated Allure Homme Sport
- It’s light, clean, and is safe to wear in almost any situation
- It’s not a budget breaker. You can usually find a bottle of this for less than $40-$50 dollars
- Very well liked. Great for gifts and for young men.
- Women love it
- The longevity is sneaky. You won’t be able to smell it on your person after 4-6 hours but it’s still there.
Versace’s Pour Homme is a fantastic fragrance. When people compare the scent to the #1 rated fragrance, you know it has to smell good. Versace Pour Homme is a wonderful fragrance that is great in any situation.
#5 La Nuit De L’Homme by Yves Saint Laurent (2009)
OVERALL RATING – 9.5
What makes La Nuit worthy of a top 5 spot?
- One of the highest rated fragrances from cologne reviewers such as Jeremy Fragrance
- Light, soft, inoffensive… Great to wear in almost any situation
- It’s not considered a super popular or a top seller. This is helpful if you’re trying to smell unique.
- A perfect gift. People receiving it will most likely have no idea what it is but when they take a whiff they will fall in love with it.
- It’s not known as a “sexy” fragrance, but more of a romantic scent
When you hear so many Youtubers, fragrance experts, and bloggers talking about how much they love this smell, there has to a reason for it. The reason of why it’s so loved is because it really is amazing. The lighter, sophisticated smell can make anyone feel and appear more just a little more awesome. If you want a bottle, here is the exact bottle I purchased.
#4 Aventus by Creed (2010)
OVERALL RATING – 9.6
What makes Aventus one of the best mens cologne?
- Since it’s emergence on the scene in 2010, no fragrance has received more compliments from women
- It has a high price point which means most people can’t afford to wear it
- The longevity is amazing. One of the longer lasting fragrance out there.
- People claim to have actually gotten laid from wearing it!
- It’s a noticeable scent… You will get attention wearing it and not in a bad way!
Creed Aventus is one of the best smelling fragrances around today if you’re simply looking something that will get you noticed at the office, college campus, or hot date that you’re on. People notice Aventus and they compliment it at rates that we’ve never seen before out of any other perfume on the market. Pick up your bottle today!
#3 Aqua Di Gio by Giorgio Armani – 1996
OVERALL RATING – 9.7
What makes Aqua Di Gio one of the best?
- Without any question, Aqua Di Gio (read our full review here) is the most worn fragrance today. According to Google, it is searched for more than any fragrance by more than 30,000 times per month. If a fragrance is popular, there is probably a reason for it.
- Acqua Di Gio is versatile and inoffensive. Anyone can wear this fragrance, day or night, summer or winter and be perfectly accepted.
- One of the best gifts you can give to someone because it is universally liked
- It’s not priced out of control
- Very sexy… women can recognize the scent and associate it with sexiness
- The longevity of this fragrance is also what makes it just a step above every other citrus scent out there. Most eau de toilettes have horrendous longevity but not Acqua Di Gio.
If you have never tried Aqua Di Gio, then this makes giving it a chance a no brainer. This fragrance continues to find it’s way into the closets of almost every high-schooler for good reason.
#2 The One by Dolce & Gabbana (2008)
OVERALL RATING – 9.9
Why is The One currently ranked #2?
- This is one of my signature scents
- The scent is has a perfect mixture of sweet and manliness… This makes it one of the sexiest fragrances out there!
- Makes a wonderful gift because not very many people wear it… you can find our full review here
- Perfect for any situation… Day/Night/Any Season
- Highly recommended by many other top reviewers… YouTube, Fragrantica, Basenotes, and many others
When I’m looking through my fragrances and I’m thinking about what I’m going to wear, when my eyes meet The One, it’s a guarantee I’ll be wearing it that day. The One is another fragrance that works in almost any situation and I’ll receive positive feedback from anyone I let wear it.
#1 Allure Homme Sport by Chanel (2004)
OVERALL RATING – PERFECT 10!
Why is Allure Homme Sport the best mens cologne right now?
- HUGE compliment getter
- Easy to wear. Fits any situation.
- Great for all ages
- NOT super popular
- Day or Night
- A wonderful signature scent
- Long lasting
- Great all-year round
- You can see the full review here
Allure Homme Sport takes the #1 spot because it’s one of the most versatile scents you can find. It’s safe to wear in any situation and women find it SUPER sexy.
Chanel is a great brand and is known for putting out rock solid fragrances. This makes it even easier to give it the #1 spot on the list.
What makes this fragrance even better is that it’s not that popular. You don’t have to worry about smelling like your girlfriend’s dad or grandpa when you wear this. There’s nothing worse than killing a moment because you smell like someone’s loved one.
Feel free to look through the table and sort from whatever column interests you. You’ll find more details on each category and picks as you scroll towards the bottom.
Don’t like where your favorite fragrance ended up on our list?! Well then, click on the link and head to that page and tell us how you feel! Your ratings are considered when we created this list, so make your voice count!
Lastly, the table above only shows 10 fragrances at a time. You can expand the list by clicking on the bottom of the table.
The COOLEST part of the list is that you can SORT by which category you want to see. A detailed explanation on what each category can be found below.
Below the table descriptions, you’ll find the meat and potatoes of best mens cologne post. We go through each category on what fragrance leads the way, and we explain why it does.
Disclaimer – We are using the term “cologne” loosely. Most of the fragrances on this list are not cologne, they are considered eau de toilettes. Most people don’t know the difference which is why we bunched them all together. For a detailed explanation of what this means, check out our Cologne Guide.
What Do The Different Categories Mean?
The #3 Best Mens Cologne
Overall Rating – 8.5
Why is Fierce the 3rd best mens cologne right now?
- One of the best fragrances for young men
- Very long lasting for a lighter scented fragrance (full review here)
- Safe to wear at school, work, and church
- A perfect signature scent
- Very well liked
- A casual fragrance
In an interesting development, Fierce by Abercrombie & Fitch hit’s #3 for the best mens fragrance. If you take away the bottle and the name behind it, you have a fragrance that works perfectly for almost any situation whether its day or night, school or play, and summer versus winter. The only problem is the price is a little expensive. Find the best price here where we purchased it.
#3 – Tied Armani Code by Giorgio Armani (2004)
Overall rating – 8.3
Why is Armani Code the #3 best mens cologne?
- FIFI Award winner in 2008
- One of the most popular fragrances alive today
- It lasts all day so you don’t have to worry about putting more on every chance you get
- Very sexy… women love it… You can find our full review here
- A great signature scent… People will remember you if you wear it
- A versatile fragrance you can get away with wearing day, night, and every season
If you’re looking around your dresser and notice you still don’t have a signature fragrance that you can put your name on, you may want to give this one a chance. It has enough of a unique smell to it that will give you some personality.
Overall Rating – 8.3
The Best Cologne According To Critics & Reviewers
Who are these reviewers and critics?!
Reviewers – These people can be anyone. Just average guys around the world that have worn the fragrance once or fifty times and they describe how they feel about it.
If you ask two random dudes on the street how they like a cologne, they could be complete opposites.
However, if you ask 1,000 dudes how they like a fragrance, the law of averages say if 800 of them say they love it, chances are that you will too.
#1 Highest Rated Fragrance According To Critics & Reviewers
Why is Very Sexy For Him by Victoria Secret rated #1 by critics and the masses?
- A huge compliment getter from women in a “sexy” way
- Ideally it’s for young guys and you can find it on the best colognes for young guys post
- Not extremely popular so you don’t have to worry about everyone next to you wearing it
- Huge brand name behind it. I mean, what’s the first thing you think of when someone says, “Victoria Secret”
- Did I mention that women find it sexy? Holy moses, I’m reading through these reviews on Fragrantica, and one after another tell legends of it’s sexiness.
Very Sexy For Him by Victoria Secret is a fragrance that received only a 6 in the overall rating category for a few reasons.
1. It doesn’t last very long
2. It’s not safe to wear if you’re heading over to grandma’s house so it may not be a very good thing to wear as a signature scent.
3. It should only be worn by young guys. Do you want your dad or grandpa wearing this fragrance?
#2 Highest Rated Fragrance According To Critics & Reviewers
Dior Homme is another fragrance that was a surprising finish at the top of the Critics and Reviewers list. If you don’t already know the story, I accidentally purchased Dior Homme while trying to buy Dior’s Intense after watching a YouTube video about it.
This mistake purchase is surprisingly popular in the world of fragrance buffs and you most likely would have never seen it on any list if it wasn’t for my mistake.
Why is Dior Homme by Christian Dior rated #2 by critics as the best mens cologne?
- Reviewers say that it is a fragrance for gentleman. If you are a ruff and tough guy, this may not be the fragrance for you
- It’s manufactured in France which means every bottle has just a little extra romance built into it
- Despite scoring only a 5.6 on the overall score, the people that love it are in the category of fragrance artists. These guys describe it as elegant, sophisticated, and rich
- For anyone looking for a floral scent, this is a good recommendation on where to begin
Give this fragrance a chance if you’re looking at the list of the best colognes for men and you find each suggestion boring. That’s when you should head over to Amazon and pick up a bottle of it here.
#3 Highest Rated Fragrance According To Critics & Reviewers
Why is Terre d”hermes rated #3 by critics as the best cologne for men?
This one is a little easier to understand. Terre d’Hermes is a fragrance that has a reputation of being sophisticated and loved by fragrance amateurs and masters. Of the top 3 on critics and reviewers list, this would be my pick.
- Light, clean, and sophisticated
- Non-Offensive and safe to wear in almost any situation. You can wear it to grandma’s house without any worries.
- Obviously well liked by causal wearers and fellow fragrance enthusiasts
- Check out our full review here
Of all the critic and mass reviewers score, Terre d’Hermes is the most accepted. It’s light, clean, and smells like something that someone important would wear. You can find it for a reasonable price by clicking here on Amazon.
The Longest Lasting Cologne According To Mass Audiences
When trying to figure out which fragrance lasts the longest, we don’t mess around.
We combined THOUSANDS (seriously not kidding) of ratings together to find the longest lasting fragrances around and here are the top ones that we have reviewed so far:
The greatest gift that 1 million gives us, is that when you come home from a long hard day of work, you can still smell this fragrance on your body.
Waking up the “morning after”, is even more impressive as I’ve noticed I can still smell it all over my clothes and body as well.
If you wish to see a full list of the longest lasting colognes, we have a page devoted to just that.
#2 Longest Lasting Fragrance According To People Who Wear Them
Chrome Azzaro is a surprise on this list because it is a lighter, cleaner, and refreshing scent. When men usually put on this fragrance, their expectations are usually a few hours, not an entire day.
My roommate absolutely loves this scent. He comes into my room and steals it almost every morning. When I come back from work after about 9 hours, I can still smell it lingering around my room.
Maybe my room just smells, but this fragrance does have some great longevity especially for something so light.
#3 Longest Lasting Fragrance that CologneMasters has Reviewed
As one of the most classic fragrances this world has ever seen, Drakkar Noir still knocks out home runs. Whether like the fragrance or not, at least you don’t have to worry about it wearing off.
Conclusion for our Best Men’s Cologne guide
Last updated – 11/17/16